Sunday, August 3, 2008

Divine Nature

I love Sundays. I have decided that I am going to start keeping a small journal with me when I attend church because I get so many things that come to me during talks and lessons that I want to remember. Face it, I'm 45 and my retention just isn't that great anymore unless you are talking about water!

Today during a lesson in Relief Society, we were talking about our Divine Worth and my eyes were drawn to the YW theme that we have on the wall. I had a great "ah ha" moment and just could not contain myself -- had to share.

The YW values are:
Faith
Divine Nature
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Choice and Accountability
Good Works
Integrity
We had been disucssing how we gain the understanding of our Divinity. It hit me! The YW values are the very stepping stones to our lives. First we have to have Faith in God and his eternal plan (who we are, where we came from, where we are going). Once that faith is locked in place, we can begin to understand our Divine Nature - we truly are Daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us.....and we love him.
Once we grasp the Divinity of our life we gain feelings of Individual Worth. Because we have accepted that we are important and can contribute to society, relationships, etc...... we seek for knowledge. The knowledge we seek, both secular and spiritual we are able to make proper and wise choices -Choice and Accountability and be accountable for our actions.
From there, through our choices and accountability (knowing that we are daughters of God) we seek to perform Good Works. All these things summed up and Good Works being the actions that come from all this.....we gain Integrity, which I believe to be one of the utmost characteristics a person can have.
I was rather embarassed to share this in class because I thought that I was just getting it after all these years. All of a sudden, it seemed so simple and pure to me. Why did it take me so long to "see" it. As I shared this, I realized that I was not alone.....no one else had thought of this either. I had a lot of possitive comments.
It just goes to show that not everyone knows everything and if we never are willing to open our mouths a bit and share our thoughts in setting like this, those moments of inspiration might not come so frequently AND those around us would miss out on the perspective -- one that they might be needing or looking for!

3 comments:

  1. Penny!!!!

    Hey, girlfriend! I LOVED your comment in Relief Society--I was so glad you made it!

    And would you, could you PLEASE make us a custom header for our RS blog? That would be so amazingly awesome that I can hardly stand it! I'm practically jumping up and down in my chair. (Notice I said practically. . . we just ate dinner. . . urp!)

    -Sarah d'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you blog! I found your blog from an email of Heidi's! I'm so excited to see you at Reunion this year! Are you surviving Idaho? :) I actually miss it TONS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insight Penny. To make it clear to integrity, a word so seldom understood, would be so great. Keep sharing in RS and on your blog.

    ReplyDelete